WHAT IS PSYCHOANALYSIS
- Psychoanalysis is a form of psychological treatment, based on an understanding of the unconscious mind, arising out of the pioneering work of Sigmund Freud.
- There are those who claim that psychoanalysis is limited to the theories arising solely out of the work of Freud, Klein and a number of other theorists concerned principally with the nature of early relationships.
- Others take a much broader view of psychoanalysis, which includes the work of Jung and analytical psychology; the Lacanian or French school; and the phenomenological and philosophical schools.
- This is the pluralistic tradition of psychoanalysis, which exists throughout the world, and it is this inclusive understanding, rather than the narrower one, which I adhere to
WHAT IS PSYCHOANALYSIS FOR
Psychoanalysis offers a number of possibilities, including:-
- A means of understanding the nature of the mind and its development.
- A route to insight and the better understanding of yourself and relationships with others.
- A form of treatment for understanding and dealing with mental pain and suffering.